Friday, October 31, 2008

Starbucks Trash: A Letter to the Editor

I thought that I would share this with the global community that will not see it in our local paper:



Hi, [Local Editor] -

I am writing as a citizen, not as a [local government] staff member, so my opinions are my own and should in no way be construed as the official position of xxxxx.

I love coffee, and when I am not enjoying a cup from the Sole Cafe on Fort Myers Beach, I buy Starbucks - it's delicious. Although they are a huge global company, and I typically prefer to support mom-and-pops, I can at least respect the fact that Starbucks tries to be somewhat socially responsible in the global market. They claim to support artisan growers and they do a lot of charity work (Google "Starbucks charity" to get an idea). They even run a clean water campaign for African towns through sale of their 'ethos' water. I have also seen Starbucks at the Lee County Reading Festival and various local charitable functions. So, some of my guilt over patronizing a huge company is eleviated by the thought that my money is going to the greater good.

However, I have an ENORMOUS problem with Starbucks as well: they typically do not provide recycling bins for patrons. Nearly everything handed over the counter to Starbucks customers is recyclable, including paper cups, plastic cups, plastic lids of various shapes, and food containers. Now, they do make their coffee sleeves out of some post-consumer, recycled paper, but I say - NOT ENOUGH! Recently, some friends and I met up at the Starbucks on College Parkway in Fort Myers and had coffee and snacks. I asked the barista if their store had a recycling bin, and I was told that their landlord would not provide them with the service. I end up slepping all of our recyclable waste to my house to dump in my personal recycling bin!

It is my humble, yet vocal, opinion that Starbucks has a corporate, ethical and environmental responsibility to provide their patrons with recycling. I cannot imagine how many unnecessary tons of Starbucks waste go to the landfill each day. If cost is an issue, I'd be glad to pay another $0.10 for my caramel macchiato.

I tried taking this issue to the Starbucks corporate people, but got nowhere. Can you help me by printing this letter and asking other coffee drinkers to demand that SBUX recylces?

Thank you,
Watching Puddles

No comments: